Legacy Community Health is a premium, Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) that provides comprehensive care to community members regardless of their ability to pay. Our goal is to treat the entire patient while improving their overall wellness and quality of life, in addition to providing free pregnancy tests, HIV/AIDS screening. At Legacy, we empower patients to lead better lives by promoting healthy behaviors and offering resources such as literacy classes, family planning services, and nutrition and weight management information.
Our roots began in 1981 as the Montrose Clinic, with specialization in HIV education, testing, and treatment. Since then, the agency has expanded to 10 clinics in Houston, one in Baytown, two in Beaumont, and one in Deer Park with extensive services that include: Adult primary care, HIV/AIDS care, pediatrics, OB/GYN and maternity, dental, vision and behavioral health. We also service students within KIPP and YES Prep schools. Legacy is committed to driving healthy change in our communities.
Health Advocate Interns provide basic needs case management within a defined scope to Legacy patients. Case management duties include assessing patients social determinants of health, providing referrals for community based resources, following up to ensure service linkage, advocating to reduce barriers to linkage, and documenting efforts in the REACH client management and resource database.
- Provide volunteer advocacy services for 8+ hours per week for a minimum of one university semester.
- Screen and assess a defined set of clients for needs related to social determinants of health.
- Conduct real-time research to provide information, referrals, and linkage to basic needs social service resources using all available tools to find the best possible service(s).
- Identify, investigate, and provide services in concert with families, and create effective plans for service connections.
- Demonstrate professional, accessible, and values aligned-communication when following up with clients regarding plans.
- Continue to make follow-up contacts at specified intervals until the clients case has been closed.
- Advocate with and on behalf of clients to decrease service gaps and remove barriers to services.
- Actively engage in weekly Advocate Development Sessions to discuss the efficacy and quality of services.
- Document work efforts in REACH client management/resource database and EHRS client record within 72 hours in order to communicate client case status to clinical care team.
- Report client encounters with higher level needs (ie domestic violence, substance abuse, etc) to team leader.
- Must be able to travel to assigned clinic locations for each volunteer shift for no less than 4 hours per shift.
- Engage in ongoing management and updating of REACH resource database
- Demonstrate respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors and fellow employees/interns to insure a professional, responsible and courteous environment.
- Understand Legacy Community Healths and Health Leads scope of services
- Promote effective working relations as part of a team to facilitate the programs ability to meet its goals and objectives.
- Attend required training and ongoing education offered by the agency.
- Including but not limited to safety trainings and education sessions on Universal Precautions.
- Maintain work area and equipment in condition required by Legacy standards.
- Works within the context of a primary care medical home, applying a team based approach to care while working in partnership with patients/families to promote: timely access to care, understanding of patient care that is culturally sensitive and language appropriate, continuity of care, and the improvement of the whole-person through the teaching of appropriate self-management skills.
Education & Training Requirements
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) is preferred. Bilingual in any language is a plus but not required.
- Current enrollment in a post-secondary program at an affiliated university is required. If attending a non-affiliate university, student/applicant must assist Legacy staff in obtaining appropriate documentation to become an affiliate university.
- Pursuit of study in fields related to Health Care, Social Work, Economics, Nonprofit Management, Law, Sociology, Public Policy, Medicine, Public Affairs, Urban Studies, Public Health is a plus but not required.
- Community service, employment, or university coursework related to health & economic disparities, social justice, families, social co-morbidities etc. is preferred but required.
- 9 Holidays
- school holidays and breaks are recognized